Tuesday, October 13, 2020

The First Rule of Writing- Showing Sentences

 


                                  https://images.app.goo.gl/bwLMVmx6H3q6xvyLA

The use of showing sentences when writing a story was very useful for me. As gathered from one of our sessions, showing sentences breathe life and energy into a story. This was a revelation for me as a teacher because I am now able to add substance to my writing and create a mental image in the minds of readers. Likewise, the use of showing sentences would be very useful for my students in their writing. Most times as teachers, focus is placed on identifying elements for example setting, plot and characters. However, the challenge students usually face is inability to bring across their story with a clear and strong picture. It is evident that our students in the classroom are able to express themselves orally and are unable to do the same in writing. The use of showing sentences though may seem simple, can be a great start to enable students to express themselves properly and vividly when writing a story

                     

https://images.app.goo.gl/Q45nhTH7THWEqFbFA

Attached below is a link to a document by Bella Rose Pope (2019) which I found very interesting in getting a clear understanding of showing sentences. The document provides tips on how to "show, don't tell" in writing, definition, examples, importance and practical activities of showing sentences. 

Show, Don’t Tell: How to Show Not Tell in Writing With Exercises 




7 comments:

  1. Hi Keida, this rule of writing was also quite interesting to me. As writers we have a responsibility to create impactful reading experiences for our audience. When they are drawn in by how artfully we paint our words, reading is more pleasurable and memorable to them. Additionally, as teachers it is important that we expose our students to this way of writing, thus enabling them to develop a love for writing. I found this video which we can use in the classroom to simply explain to students how to show and not tell as they write.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4RthqSOcR0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also found that video while I was surfing the web. It is very informative and viewer friendly. I think it is a great tool for consolidating this strategy.

      Delete
    2. That's great Jael. I am happy I found this video because like you mentioned it is viewer friendly. I will definitely add it to my list of resources for use in the classroom.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Erica, I am immensely grateful for this video as it clearly outlines what is meant by "Show, Don't Tell." I will add this video to my collection. I will definitely use it in my classroom as a means of getting my students to understand the concept of showing sentences. As the caption says "Show, Don't Tell", my students will be able to see for themselves how to go about writing showing sentences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are much welcome Keida. Let me know how the video works with your students when you try it.

      Delete
  3. Hey Keida, "Show, Don't Tell" sentences has been become one of my favorite writing rule also. It is a real and vivid way of luring the readers into experiencing the story written; it draws the reader's interest and keeps intense focus. Additionally, as teachers it is imperative that we expose and teach our students to be very verse in including showing sentences in their story. Helping them to incorporate their oral descriptive ideas into writing which will invoke and keep reader's interest.
    Both the document and the video further helps to consolidate the ideas to impart to the students. Teaching is really a collaborative experience. I look forward to exchanging tips and ideas as to help in the effective instructional delivery to students even as we go forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback Jeanel. Ever so often as I write, the voice of Mrs. Lazurus jumps out of my mind "Show, Do not Tell". It is important that we make our writing come alive. This is something that will definitely stick with me.

      Delete

An Abandoned House

  https://anchor.fm/keida-pierre/episodes/An-Abandoned-House-enta9v/a-a456ke5 'An Abandoned House' is a descriptive piece which prov...