Saturday, October 24, 2020

Persuasive Writing




https://images.app.goo.gl/vgQB5f6htQzzZQJt5

In truth and in fact, I have been persuaded many times as well as persuaded individuals. However, persuasive writing is a type of writing that I have had little exposure in and I needed some scaffolding in this area. Fortunately, after one of our sessions in LIT 102( Promoting Writing in the Primary Grades) I am at a better place. First and foremost,  I was amazed by the way my lecturer brought this topic alive. We were given the opportunity to choose a topic in groups where we listed points for or against our topic as instructed. Thereafter, we choose one point in which we elaborated on and then presented to the class. This was very meaningful for me as I got a deeper insight of how to put my pieces together incorporating various persuasive techniques for instance emotional language, exaggeration and repetition covered in class. It is my hope to transfer the experience outlined above on my return to the classroom. This strategy will definitely encourage active involvement among students and serves as a means of motivating them to write their pieces.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you that the class session and strategy used to introduce the topic on persuasive writing was very inspiring and really made the topic come alive. It made me eager to write, to convince lol, because I have my views on certain things and I would like readers to see my point of view. Nevertheless, I am quite confident that we are better able now to write convincing pieces and pass on the skills to our students.
    This brings me to our persuasive writing task, have you decided on your stance?, what are some of the techniques you are hoping to use?
    I am in the process of deciding on my stance; Close MBIA or Open MBIA lol, but as you mentioned incorporating persuasive techniques would add more 'flavor' to the writing, I am hoping to use at least two or three of this techniques to enhance my piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keida it was a very exciting day in the classroom indeed, seeing the techniques being acted out made it so clear and understandable.. It had me thinking that there are so many fun ways we can get the students involved and have them learning at the same time. I look back at my days as a student and I don't remember school being so fun or interactive ,it was always listen to the teacher instruct then write to be assessed. This can surely be a contributing factor to some students dislike for school, I am gonna try my best to always make learning fun ,interesting and interactive for my students and I pray I never get weary of doing so.

    ReplyDelete

An Abandoned House

  https://anchor.fm/keida-pierre/episodes/An-Abandoned-House-enta9v/a-a456ke5 'An Abandoned House' is a descriptive piece which prov...