Sunday, November 1, 2020

Stages of Writing Development- Emergent Writers

 

 


https://images.app.goo.gl/apxaRWRLGhwXbdEUA

Have you ever wondered how a simple scratch can later be refined into words? It is amazing how the stages of writing come together. I heard many times in the past, parents complaining about their child drawing all over the house. To some extent some of these children would be scolded for doing so. Unbelievable, I myself could not understand why children especially at the emergent stage loves scribbling or drawings. The newly found knowledge presently during my studies allowed me to unravel many questions about students as they move through the stages of writing. Knowledge is indeed powerful!!!

This knowledge has lead to my understanding, where I allowed my son (emergent writer) to practice writing without getting annoyed. Thus far, I started observing his growth, as he is able to draw and provide me with a detailed story of his drawing. On observing such growth, I am motivated to read to him as often as possible from a variety of genres so that his language can develop and as a result transfer it into his writing.



2 comments:

  1. Yes Keida, we as parents should allow our children to explore. Whether it's scribbling on the walls of the house or in their notebooks. It allows them to develop their writing skills in a way most persons do not understand. As for me, I learnt from our recent class on the different types of writers, to allow my daughter to write anywhere in the house. Soon she will emerge from these stages and will no longer write all over the house giving me the opportunity to re paint. Thank God for the skill of understanding, that I now know the reason for all the scribbling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laureen, I must say however that as parents we can put up newsprints or even computer pages in strategic areas of the house. The idea is to get them to write but at the same time not all over the house. A great idea is to explain to children that yes it is ok to write on the walls but point out to strategic places where it can be done. As young as they may be they will understand.

      Delete

An Abandoned House

  https://anchor.fm/keida-pierre/episodes/An-Abandoned-House-enta9v/a-a456ke5 'An Abandoned House' is a descriptive piece which prov...